Friday, October 31, 2008

Wk 31: Doctor Visit

I'm now going to the doctor every 2 weeks and had one of my regular check ups today. They were a little concerned about my blood pressure going up and I'm supposed to watch my activity level and take it easy. I'm starting to show some signs of having PreEclampsia, also known as toxemia. You are only at risk for it if it is your first baby and no one knows what causes it. The only way to get rid of it is to deliver the baby, which is also scary because this usually causes a pre-term labor that is induced and done via C-section. So, we'll see what happens. So far, my feet, legs, face and hands are swelling out of control... I'm seeing spots sometimes and although my blood pressure is not yet high enough to cause concern, it is getting border line. PreEclampsia can cause seizures, kidney and liver problems and stress on the baby. Therefore it results in bed rest to slow the process of high blood pressure. Bed rest might in fact drive me nuts if it comes to that, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't. Other than that, everything else looks good and the baby is healthy and growing.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'll be praying for you! You know I know first hand the hardships of bed rest and toxemia with my pregnancy with Maya. Do they have you on any meds at all?

Oh, and just a side note,it can happen with any pregnancy, not just your first baby because my mom had toxemia with my younger sister and that was the only one out of the 6 of us, sorry to break that to you.

Love you! hang in there!