Friday, May 09, 2008

Funeral Director of the Year

This week was a special week for my CA Dad. He was nominated and voted for "Funeral Director of the Year for the state of California! This is a major accomplishment. There are over 4,000 funeral directors in the state, and HE WON! Over 30 of his close friends and family flew out to Long Beach for this huge event. One of my dads co-workers, Christian, had actually called me about a month before this took place to let us know that he had won but didn't know it. It had even gotten back to my Dad that someone else had won. He hee (sneaky-sneaky)

So, we all flew out to the Hyatt Hotel in Long Beach, where the Funeral Director Convention was taking place. The last night of the event is when he was awarded this great award, Wed, May 7th. He must have figured it out when he walked into the dinner banquet room that night to see all of his friends and family sitting there to support him. It was a good night, good food, good 'dead' humor and a lot of fun. Jeremy even had some enlightenment on the career in the mortuary business. lol

Also, just a funny joke. When Jeremy and I arrived at the car rental place, the guy helping us said, "So, what brings you to Long Beach?" I said, "Well, my dad just won Funeral Director of the year and we came out to surprise him on recognition night at his convention." The look on his face was hilarious. He stood there and stared at us for a minute and then said, "Wow. Well... Have fun. I've never heard that one before."

This was in the San Gabriel Valley Newspaper on Sunday, May 11, 2008. This newspaper is distributed in and around the San Gabriel Valley, which is the northern part of Los Angeles.





I love this. lol I think Mary said he slept with his award that night. Thanks for letting us be a part of this event! Congratulations and Good Job! You are one of the hardest workers I know and have been that way since I was a little girl. You deserve it!

No comments: